This is an adaptation of the apples n’ onions recipe that I read about in Farmer Boy back when I was in grade 5. it makes for a very straightforward and flavorsome meal. My husband prepared this while he was out field and he proudly reported that some of the guys came back for thirds – everyone, apparently had seconds!
Pork Sausage with Apples n Onions
- 1 package pork sausage
- 2-4 apples peeled, cored and diced
- 2 large onions peeled and diced, or cut into rings
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 package instant onion soup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp corn starch dissolved in water
- In a large frying pan, melt butter, and caramelize onions.
- Brown sausage in batches, and remove as they brown.
- Deglaze pan with the apple juice, and add the onion soup.
- Stir soup until dissolved, and add apples.
- Return sausage to pan and cook, covered, until sausage is cooked completely through and apples are just soft, about 20 minutes
- Remove sausage to serving dish.
- Add corn starch dissolved in water into the sauce, stirring rapidly as you pour it in. Thicken the sauce; another 5 to 10 minutes of cooking.
- Pour sauce, apples and onions over the sausages; serve and enjoy!