I make no secret of the fact that I am a gamer, and that a lot of my work also requires me to be in front of the computer (or Cintiq) and sometimes, the work here is very hard to interrrupt! Or the party grind session.
I call this chicken bake this because I realized one afternoon, after immersed in Lineage II that I hadn’t thawed any meat and the children had just come home. This meant – oops – that dinner would need to be ready, or at least cooking by the time Rhys got home! My darling man would be tired and hungry, and my pride refuses to not at least have some food warm and ready!
Fortunately for me, I had bought a store-cooked roast chicken from the grocery, and I have a pantry of canned goods! It was hot, so I didn’t want something too heavy, but wanted it hearty enough to satisfy growing children and grown men.
It was satisfying and delicious without being too heavy, and the last bit of leftovers were enough to make me a lunch.
It occurs to me that this would also be a nice way to use up leftover ham, or turkey.
This went beautifully with steamed sliced potatoes that had a bit of butter melted on top of them.
Gamer Wife Chicken Bake
- 1-2 meat from roast chickens legs, thighs and breast meat, chopped
- 1 can baby carrots
- 1 can green beans
- 1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 2 cups gravy (pre-mix gravy following powder gravy instructions, or use 2 sachets of store-bought gravy)
- dash black pepper powder to taste
- 1 pinch mixed herbs
- In a lightly greased baking dish, arrange chicken pieces.
- Pour in canned carrots, including liquid, and spread the carrots around as evenly as possible.
- Drain canned green beans and spread evenly with the carrots.
- Mix the Worchestershire sauce with the gravy. Pour gravy over it all, sprinkle powder and mixed herbs. Cover baking dish.
- Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 30-45 minutes. Serve with steamed, baked, or mashed potatoes.